Friday, January 18, 2013

Psalms 6 -- Always Available


Psalms 6 -- Always Available

Psalms 6:1-4 O Lord, rebuke me not in thine anger, neither chasten me in thy hot displeasure. Have mercy upon me, O Lord; for I am weak: O Lord, heal me; for my bones are vexed. My soul is also sore vexed: but thou, O Lord, how long?
Return, O Lord, deliver my soul: oh save me for thy mercies' sake.

One of the requirements of my secular career is conducting regular meetings with the families of which I am case manager. These conferences usually involve a number of staff from several different service providers. Needless to say it can be a monumental challenge getting in touch with all of the necessary individuals to make these meetings happen. Thus, I spend a large amount of time talking to secretaries and answering machines because of people’s unavailability during the day. Anyone acquainted with such work understand the frustration that this can cause. I am thankful that this is never the case with our Heavenly Father. He is available 24/7 and we are never required to leave a message!

In our opening verses we discern a tone of urgency in the Psalmist’s words. He is going through a personal crisis as he feels the weight of his sin. Some commentators have labeled this one of David’s penitential psalms. He has repented of some unspecified sin in which he was suffering the chastisement of God. His prayer is one asking for swift action as he grieves over his current state. Later we read of his weariness from groaning, grief, weeping an tears. Yet in the midst of this desperate state, his confidence in the Lord is noted:

Psalm 6:8-9 Depart from me, all ye workers of iniquity; for the Lord hath heard the voice of my weeping. The Lord hath heard my supplication; the Lord will receive my prayer.

This truth is one that should bring much consolation to us. One of the harsh realities of life is that at times we all find ourselves in a condition similar to David. We commit a transgression in our life that brings subsequent judgement. The Father’s chastisement is an unpleasant but necessary result of sinful behavior. However, such actions will never separate us from our God. David cries out unto the Lord in penitential prayer and the Lord hears him. This is also the case with us when we confess our sins. Notice the words of John:

1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

The Lord is both faithful and just to forgive our sins. Some believe that either a public confession of guilt or private acknowledgement to a supposed divine intermediary is necessary for God to hear our petitions. This simply is not so in our communications with our Lord. HE hears our cries and receives our prayers!

In Psalm 66:19-20, David would later write, “But verily God hath heard me; he hath attended to the voice of my prayer. Blessed be God, which hath not turned away my prayer, nor his mercy from me.” My friends, He is always available and will not turn away from our prayers. There are times when we seek counsel or fellowship from our friends in the world, and they might not be available. Others simply do not want to be bothered with our problems. God will always attend to our needs. This is a continual theme throughout the Psalms. 

The Apostle Paul understood the power of prayer. He taught the Philippian brethren to give their worries over to God in prayer. 

Philippians 4:6-7 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

What a timely truth in our days of worry and stress. Sometimes it is self-imposed because of our behavior. At other times it result from the actions of others. Regardless, the Lord hears our prayers and earnest requests (supplications). Notice the response to turning over our worries to God in prayer. This results in peace that passes all understanding. Thanks be to God that we have this enormous blessing and resource available at all times. Are you taking advantage of this access to God?

Blessings,

Michael D. Green, Jr.
Fort Wayne Primitive Baptist Church






No comments: